Vehicle Type Approval and Homologation
Millbrook offers a “one stop shop” type approval testing service, including expert legislative advice, negotiation with approval or regulatory authorities, test program development, project management and assistance with supporting documentation.
Millbrook is merging with UTAC CERAM, which offers type approval services in France.
Programme Support and Project Management
Millbrook assists its customers with the interpretation and application of legal provisions, specific legislative and regulatory requirements and approval processes.
Millbrook’s vehicle type approval expertise covers all types of vehicles and tires for existing and proposed legislation for the UK, EU and other regions.
Millbrook provides technical and laboratory test services for various global agencies:
- Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) and Idiada who have onsite offices with resident engineers for witnessing
- RDW (as a category “A” technical service)
- Authorised laboratory for Taiwanese vehicle safety testing directives
- Authorised test facility for the Australian Road Vehicle Certification Scheme
- Accredited test laboratory for certain Japanese TRIAS regulations
It can also arrange for tests conducted in its laboratories to be witnessed by other technical services or authorities, such as TUV, ATE-EL or UTAC.
Millbrook’s vehicle homologation team has particular expertise with the type approval testing for niche and small series vehicles, as well as the particular challenges posed by multi-stage builds. Millbrook has worked extensively with wheelchair accessible vehicle and ambulance manufacturers, and can provide assessments to the requirements of both ISO 10542 and BSEN1789 to support their type approval testing needs.
Example Type Approval Projects
Recent legislative or vehicle type approval projects include:
- Project managing the Validation and Certification of an N2 Category Electric Van to European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) directive 2007/46/EC
- Acting on behalf of a UK converter to manage the test and certification of various incomplete N1 chassis cabs into a range of completed Dropside, Tipper and Box vans, which are approved to ECWVTA in a multi-stage process
- Assisting a UK national sales company to uprate the gross weight and towing capacity of their light commercial vehicles, including identification of the test requirements, testing services, vehicle type approval documentation and interface with the approval authority
- Conducting legislative compliance assessments
- Provision of support to various multi-stage builders, including the on-going maintenance of their second stage approvals such that they continue to meet their conformity of production obligations