Rail Seat and Table Testing
At a glance
Millbrook carries out tests on rail seats and tables to the GM/RT 2100 and American Public Transportation Association (APTA) PR-CS-S-018-13, Rev. 1 standards.
These tests are carried out to show that train interiors meet the required level of safety as defined within the standards. Millbrook uses its precisely correlated sled test facility to provide the deceleration pulses required by the GM/RT 2100 and APTA PR-CS-S-018-13, Rev. 1 standards.
This sled gives a highly controllable, accurate and repeatable accelerations, which means that the pulse can be precisely tuned to requirements.
This allows customers to homologate their seats and tables to ensure they are safe for use and eligible for sale to their customers who require seats certified to the GM/RT 2100 and the APTA PR-CS-S-018-13, Rev. 1. standards.
Through a relationship with TRL, Millbrook has access to the Hybrid III Rail Safety (RS) Anthropomorphic Test Device to carry out rail interior crashworthiness testing. The RS dummy is unique and is specifically enhanced for rail table and seat testing. These enhancements include:
- 4 point, 3D chest deflection measurement which allows for better assessment of lower thorax injury risk
- Biofidelic abdomen with 4 point, deflection measurement which allows for abdomen injury risk assessment
- Sit / stand pelvis and improved lumbar spine which allows for improved dummy kinematics in table and seat tests
- More biofidelic pelvis bone and pelvis flesh for improved interaction with seat base
- Flexible femur element for improved femur injury risk assessment and dummy kinematics in table and seat tests